CASTIGLIONE DEL LAGO
Castiglione del Lago has been constructed on a limestone cliff cape on the east side of the Trasimeno Lake. Etrurians were probably the first to occupy this area, as confirmed by the findings of tombs in the area.
After the Roman occupation, the village belonged respectively to the marquis of Tuscany, to the abbey of S.Germano from Campoleone, to Perugia, to the Duke Della Corgna until 1647, again to the grand-duke of Tuscany and, in the XVIII century to the Papal State. Inside the urban center, the middle age town walls, the Town hall and the palace of Della Corgna Dukes are still well preserved. The latter, probably a remake of a preexisting structure realized by the Vignola or the Alessi, has frescoes of mithological topic painted by Giovanni Antonio Pandolfi and Salvio Salvini. The most fascinating building of all the village is without any doubt the castle which, with its four towers, represents one of the most remarkable examples of military art in Umbria.
PASSIGNANO SUL TRASIMENO
The most ancient nucleus of Passignano sul Trasimeno is still today encircled by the middle age walls which testify the development the center underwent during the Roman Empire, evolving from a small agricultural village to a castle, which, after the Lordship of Uguccione II in the 917, was constantly aimed at by Arezzo, Perugia and Florence.
Not very many historical buildings are left in the town, due to the destructions caused by the II the world war strafings. All that remains is in fact the church of S. Rocco ( XV century) and the one of S. Bernardino, erected only a few years later.From Passignano, the Isola Maggiore (Greater Island), on Trasimeno Lake, is reached in few minuts of boat. There one can visit the Romanesque church of S. Salvatore of the XII century, that of S.Michele Archangel of the XIV century and the Villa Isabella of Marquises Guglielmi. On the land, instead, approximately ten kilometers away from Passignano, the small village of Castel Rigone rises, where one of the most elegant renaissance buildings of the whole Umbria was erected: the church of the Madonna dei Miracoli.
CITTA’ DELLA PIEVEIt is supposed that, already Etrurians and Romans, had established at the same place where today Città della Pieve rises.
This characteristic village was touched by the events of the medieval history, and indeed, a number of masters had the control of the town until when Clement VII placed it under the direct control of the Church. At the center of the village, still today encircled to a good extension by the walls of 1300, having such a medieval style that here the narrowest street of Italy can be found (via Baciadonne),the Dome dedicated to the SS. Gervasio and and Protasio rises; its original structure has to be dated around the XII century but modifications done during centuries XVI and XVII have modified the original shapes and styles. However, the more ancient construction still can be noticed by the decorations of the lower part of the facade, the apse and the gothic Romanesque bell tower. Inside the church, works can be found of Domenico Alfani and of two great painters from Città della Pieve, the Perugino: ” Madonna and the SS. Giovanni Evangelista, Giovanni Battista, Pietro Martire e il beato Giacomo Villa “, ” Madonna con Bambino e SS. Pietro, Paolo, Gervasio e Protasio “, ” Battesimo di Gesu”, and the Pomarancio: ” Eterno e Angeli “. Beyond to the beautiful tower del Pubblico, high 38 meters and constructed since year 1000, the churches of S. Maria della Mercede and S. Agostino, which conserve respectively a fresco of the Perugino and a table of Pomarancio, one should not forget to visit the castel (La Rocca) and the church of S. Francesco, today sanctuary of the Madonna di Fatima. The former it is a solid defensive structure with towers, the latter, dating back to the XIII century, has works of local school and a “Pentacost” of the Pomarancio; finally, some works of the most famous painter of the city , Peter Vannucci, are conserved in the churches of S. Maria dei Servi e S. Antonio Abbate.
Among the most important manifestations taking place in the city we should absolutely mention the Race of the Terzieri Festival.